Rodrigo (Swashbuckler 4), with henchman Corvus (Fighter 2)Chaff (Vivimancer 5), with familiar Pretty Bird and Riding Dog Puppy Whuppy
Awg Wahmn (Calmonari 4)
Kwinsea (Aquamancer 5), with familiar Hermes and henchman Jaz (Elf 2)
Pahu-Mahu (Thief 3)
With several weeks to kill in Xin while Gorbo whipped up the toxin and anti-toxin, Lynessa whipped the "Purple Haze" and crew into shape, and the spell casters scribbled their new spells, the party took care of a little more business:
- Awg did the rounds of a few cartographers, looking for maps. Maps of the Far Isles, the area around Xin, and treasure maps if possible. He found little new on the Far Isles; the only places just now starting to appear on the charts were those already well known to the party. Maps of the area around Xin were also largely non existent; it seems that the vivimantic magic infusing the swamp and bayou beyond the city causes the land and water courses to change constantly, making a permanent map nearly useless. He did pick of a map to an isle with "Golden Boats" on it, only 4 days good sail south-est of Xin.
- The party also headed to the Flesh Pits to hire a squad of musketeers to help protect the "Purple Haze", especially when the party was absent. The hired a half-dozen hirsute and silk-slashed landsknecht, lead by the gruff Sergeant Rutger, and somehow squeezed them about their crowded ship.
- Chaff led a delegation to visit the Temple of Brall and Munificent Submercer Oha, to try convincing the priest to commune with Brall on their behalf. After a rocky start where-in Chaff insulted the existence of the gods, the priest agree to do so. They asked three questions. Is there still lots of treasure [>5000gp] in the palace at Mandaro-Shanti? (YES). Does the giant god-snake encountered on the previous trip have more than 3 magic items in it's hoard? (NO). Does the giant god-snake have a substantial [>7000gp] treasure hoard (YES).
- Thinking again about the mysterious shape-shifting Captain de Moncada, the party looked for rumors of any nobles who have been acting weird(er) than usual. They learned that the Margrave Uhlan of the 30 Chains did drop out of the party and spectacle circuit for a few weeks, then mysteriously reappeared. That was much out of character for the attention-loving playboy.
- Hoping to avoid further customs payments, the party had a new figurehead carved for the "Purple Haze"; a huge tentacled octopus, hollowed-out inside for use as a secret smuggling hold.
- Finally, they took most of their remaining gold (12000gp) and cut a deal with Awg's calmonari brethren. The aquatic craftsmen would use the jewels and gems from the mud Cthulhu cavern to make a magnificent work of art, and the party would split the profit made when it was resold. This would take some time, leaving completion of this business for their next visit to Xin.
|Margrave Uhlan of the 30 Chains|
1 Giant God-Snake